The 12th Annual Smithsonian.com Photo Contest was recently held with over 26,500 entries from photographers from 93 different countries. The photographs were then selected by the Smithsonian’s photo editors who chose the en finalists per category—Natural World, Travel, People, Americana, Altered Images and Mobile.
These dazzling photos from the finalist’s range from children playing, breathtaking landscapes and animals in their natural habitat. One of the photographers were Dawn LaPointe whom was on holiday with her husband when they witnessed a astonishing fog-gilded sunrise. She says:
Limited Offer : Learn Photo Editing, Over 35 Professional Photoshop Tutorials
The silhouette of the canoeist effortlessly gliding along the lake illustrates the solitude and serenity we cherish in the American wilderness
Nicolas Reusens was hiking in the jungle between Monteverde and La Fortuna, Costa Rica, when he saw a snake about to eat a frog, he says:
I could only get around five pictures before the frog was swallowed and the snake disappeared into the deep forest,” he says. “Not until I arrived home did I realize I had taken one of my favorite shots of the whole trip.
More info: Smithsonian.com
1. Women sew fishing nets in Vinh Hy Bay, Ninh Thuan, Vietnam.
Photograph by Pham Ty, Taken with a Sony NEX-6.
2. Boys jump into a river near Nghiem Xuyen village, Hanoi, Vietnam.
Photograph by Viet Phuong Tran, with a Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II.
3. Photograph by Amy Hand, of her daughter Hannah.
Taken in Reedy, West Virginia, with a Canon EOS REBEL T3.
4. Children giggling together in Medinipur, West Bengal, India.
Photograph by Kuntal Kumar Roy, taken with a Nikon D7000.
5. Holy Week celebrations in Acobamba, Tarma, Peru.
Taken by David Huamani Bedoya with a Canon EOS 5D Mark II.
6. Young Buddhists play on the Hsinbyume Pagoda, Myanmar, after the tourists have left for the day.
Photo by Sergio Carbajo Rodriguez, taken in with a Nikon D600.
Category: Natural World
7. A green iguana surfaces for air in a cave on the island of Bonaire.
Photo by Lorenzo Mittiga, taken with a Canon EOS 7D.
8. A snake devours a frog at Costa Rica’s Arenal Volcano.
Photo by Nicolas Reusens with a Canon 5D Mark III.
9. An elephant seal pup in South Georgia is not bothered by crashing waves.
Photo by Anthony Smith with a Nikon D4.
10. Fireworks burst over the Willamette River on the Fourth of July in Independence, Oregon.
Photo by Anne Marcom, taken with an Olympus E3.
11. “A real-life Patsy Stone” from Absolutely Fabulous walks down a street in London.
Photo by Rob Pearson-Wright, taken with a digital camera.
12. A little girl stares in wonder at an aquarium in Monterey, California.
Photograph by Royce Hutain, taken with an iPhone 5s.
Category: Altered Images
13. “A house built for fishermen stands alone in the middle of the sea” in Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia
Photograph by Jefflin Ling with a Nikon D800E.
14. “Muslims walk along a retaining wall toward a mosque to pray” in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Photo by Jefflin Ling, taken with a Nikon D800E.
15. Fog winds through the trees in The New Forest, Hampshire, UK.
Photo by Ellie Davies with a Nikon D3X.
You can see the rest of the 60 finalist photos here, and cast your vote for the Readers’ Choice prize until 30 March, 5:00 PM ET.
DesignBump Also Recommends
If you found this feature article interesting then you may enjoy using one or more of these carefully selected products also.
What Others are Reading Right NowBe sure to read these other engaging stories and feature posts from DesignBump and elsewhere around the web.
Did you like this DesignBump feature article? If so then get more just like it.