There’s nothing more fun than dressing up for Halloween! If you’re a book lover and enjoy nothing more than reading about your favouriteÂ Literary characters, why not try a Halloween costume based on your favourite book?
With some creativeÂ Literary Halloween costume ideas likeÂ Dr. Hannibal Lecter from Thomas Harrisâ€™s The Silence of the Lambs, Frodo Baggins from J.R.R. Tolkienâ€™s The Lord of the Rings, James Henry Trotter from Roald Dahlâ€™s James and the Giant Peach or why not try The Weather from Judy and Ronald Barrettâ€™sCloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.
Literary Costumes Ideas
3. Nancy Drew from Carolyn Keeneâ€™s Nancy Drewseries and Joe Hardy from Franklin W. Dixonâ€™s The Hardy Boys series
4. Dr. Hannibal Lecter from Thomas Harrisâ€™s The Silence of the Lambs
5. Charlotteâ€™s Web and Wilbur from E.B. White and Garth Williamsâ€™ Charlotteâ€™s Web
8. Harold from Crockett Johnsonâ€™s Harold and the Purple Crayon
Learn how to make the costume at Generation T.
9. Ryan Dean West from Andrew Smithâ€™s Winger
10. Frodo Baggins from J.R.R. Tolkienâ€™s The Lord of the Rings
11. Paddington Bear from Michael Bond and Peggy Fortnumâ€™s A Bear Called Paddington
12. Max and a Wild Thing from Maurice Sendakâ€™sWhere the Wild Things Are
Learn how to make the costumes at Tell Love and Party.
13. A Crayon from Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffersâ€™The Day the Crayons Quit
Learn how to make this no-sew costume (for under $10) here.
14. Elephant and Piggie from Mo Willemsâ€™ Elephant and Piggie series
16. Eleanor and Park from Rainbow Rowellâ€™s Eleanor & Park
17. Kirsten Larson from Janet Shaw and RenÃ©e Graefâ€™sMeet Kirsten
18. Viola Swamp from Harry G. Allard Jr. and James Marshallâ€™s Miss Nelson Is Missing!
22. Nancy from Jane Oâ€™Connor and Robin Preiss Glasserâ€™s Fancy Nancy
Get the costume here.
23. James Henry Trotter from Roald Dahlâ€™s James and the Giant Peach
Learn how to make the costume at Small Fry.
27. Mama Bear and Papa Bear from Stan and Jan Berenstainâ€™s The Berenstain Bears series
29. Pete from Eric Litwin and James Deanâ€™s Pete the Cat series
35. Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan from F. Scott Fitzgeraldâ€™s The Great Gatsby
36. Clifford from Norman Bridwellâ€™s Clifford The Big Red Dog
37. Junie B. Jones and Gladys Gutzman from Barbara Park and Denise Brunkusâ€™s Junie B. Jones series
40. Eloise from Kay Thompson and Hilary Knightâ€™sEloise books
42. The Gruffalo from Julia Donaldsonâ€™s The Gruffalo
Learn how to make the costume at The Educatorâ€™s Spin On It.
43. Tintin and Captain Haddock from HergÃ©â€™s The Adventures of Tintin series
44. Randle Patrick McMurphy and Mildred Ratched from Ken Keseyâ€™s One Flew Over the Cuckooâ€™s Nest
48. Princess Elizabeth from Robert Munsch and Michael Martchenkoâ€™s The Paper Bag Princess
49. The Cat and Sam from Dr. Seussâ€™s The Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs and Ham
Learn how to make the costumes at MADE.